Pages

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Save Me, O My God (Psalm 3)

This is the first of 73 psalms that are attributed to David in the Bible. The superscription tells us that this psalm was penned by David when he fled from Absalom, his son. The words of the psalm are indicative of the struggles that David had to face at the time of its writing. However, it also shows the great hope and peace that David had because he put his complete trust in His God.

1. O Lord, how many are my foes! Many are rising against me;

David was in the peculiar position of having his son as his enemy. Under these circumstances, defeating his "enemy" would in reality be a defeat to David at the same time. This is what happened in the end when Absalom was slain by David's men. David did not celebrate his victory rather he cried out aloud in anguish over the son that he lost.

2. Many are saying of my soul, there is no salvation for him in God.

People have a tendency to find some kind of happiness in seeing others suffer. This is the nature of sinful human beings and this is why people laugh when others trip and fall or some accident takes place. Because of this nature, people also find joy in being naysayers when bad things happen to people especially to important people. This is what David was going through at the writing of this psalm.

3. But you, O LORD are a shield about me, my glory and the lifter of my head.

David acknowledges that in spite of his circumstances, God was his shield that is to say his protection, his glory (greatness) and the lifter of his head (helper). This is in stark contrast to what the people where saying about him. Every christian can learn a great lesson from this and the lesson is not to pay attention to the words of men rather to hearken unto the voice of God who cannot lie.

4. I cried aloud to the LORD, and he answered from his holy hill.

David finds strength by remembering how God saved him in the past in answer to his prayers.

5. I lay down and slept, I woke again for the LORD sustained me.

Even in the most difficult circumstances, David had enough peace from God to relax and sleep.

6. I will not be afraid of many thousands of people who have set themselves against me all around.

Faith in God always confronts and erases fear. But this is a conscious decision by David to not be afraid of people. Fear is a decision and so is faith. You can either focus on the problem and be afraid of it, or you can focus on God and confront the problem. David chose the latter.

7. Arise, O LORD! Save me, O my God! For you strike all my enemies on the cheek; you break the teeth of the wicked.

This is the prayer of David. Now that he has put his trust in God, he urges God to act in his defense and save him one more time from those who seek to destroy him.

8. Salvation belongs to the LORD, your blessing be on your people.

Not only does David pray for his deliverance but also that God's blessing might rest on all his people. David also recognizes that salvation belongs to God, whether it be from temporary earthly death or permanent eternal death.






0 comments:

Post a Comment