Pages

Friday, June 7, 2013

You are Not Your Body

I just wanted to quickly share this anecdote I read just now. The time is now 11:13 pm and it is time for me to sleep, but I felt like I have to type this up before I sleep so here it goes.

One day in his 80th year... John Quincy Adams was approached by a friend who said, "And how is John Quincy Adams today?"

The former President of the United States replied graciously, "Thank You, John Quincy Adams is well, sir quite well, I thank you. But the house in which he lives at present is becoming dilapidated. It is tottering upon its foundations. Time and the seasons have nearly destroyed it. Its roof is pretty well worn out, its walls are much shattered, and it trembles with every wind. The old tenement is becoming almost uninhabitable, and I think John Quincy Adams will have to move out of it soon; but he himself is quite well, sir quite well." And with this the venerable statesman, leaning heavily upon his cane, moved slowly down the street. (From the Glory of Heaven, by John MacArthur)

The cares of this world have been especially strong these days in my life and I have been feeling rather unwell spiritually. Although I churned out posts each day, it has been a rather tough period in my life. But I was sent this book through the mail and I have been reading it bit by bit and the thoughts of heaven has given me such endurance and relief. Let us set our affection on things above and remember that life on this planet is temporary. Our eternal abode is in Heaven.




1 comments:

  1. AMEN!! Beautiful , Ben! I would've never known you were in a dry season, but I'm happy that you found spiritual strength through the book you were gifted with! This is a beautiful reminder that our better days rested above! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete