Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

O Lord, Deliver My Life (Psalm 6)

This Psalm paints a picture out of David's personal struggles and desperation. It is a very intense psalm written from the heart of a man who seems to be crushed from all sides. However, as we have seen time and time again hope springs eternal in David' heart and by the end of the Psalm he is once again in a defiant mood.

1. O LORD, rebuke me not in your anger, nor discipline me in your wrath.

David seems to have made a habit out of starting most of his Psalms with a direct plea to God. This time his plea is for mercy from God. He fears God's rebuke and discipline that come out of His wrath.

2. Be gracious to me, O LORD for I am languishing; heal me, O LORD, for my bones are troubled.

David's condition is expressed in these words. He is completely worn out both physically and emotionally. Even his bones are troubled, which is a way of expressing deep seated grief. We are not given the exact cause of these emotions, but evidently it was caused by men who were David's enemies.

3. My soul also is greatly troubled. But you, O LORD --- how long?

In the midst of his trials, David is growing weak and tired of waiting for God's intervention. But, even in the midst of this he continues to hold on to his hope that God will come through in the end.

4. Turn, O LORD, deliver my life, save me for the sake of your steadfast love.

David implores God to deliver him from his troubles for the sake of his steadfast love. David reasons with himself that if God doesn't deliver him that would be against God's essential quality of love.

5. For in death there is no remembrance of you; in Sheol who will give you praise?

David sort of argues with God saying that if he dies now and goes to Sheol (grave), he wont be able to praise God anymore through Psalms or any other means.

6. I am weary with my moaning every night I flood my bed with tears; I drench my couch with my weeping.

Its been a sleepless season for David where he found himself crying throughout the night. This goes to show the extent of darkness he was experiencing on a day to day basis.

7. My eye wastes away because of grief; it grows weak because of all my foes.

His eyes are weary because of the lack of sleep caused by intense grief.

Verses 8-10

Depart from me, all you workers of evil, for the LORD has heard the sound of my weeping. The LORD has heard my plea, the LORD accepts my prayer. All my enemies shall be ashamed and greatly troubled; they shall turn back and be put to shame in a moment.

This is a sudden change in attitude from David. He goes from pitying himself and his condition to a mood of defiance in a flash. He his completely certain that God has heard his prayer and weeping and will act soon in his defense. He expects God to act and bring trouble on his enemies in a moment, that is to say quickly.

In this Psalm, we can once again not miss David's undying hope in God even in the midst of the most difficult trials. This is a lesson for all of us, to keep hoping and trusting in God in our darkest days. Let us remember that weeping may last for a night, but joy comes in the morning. Whatever you are going through today, be confident that it too shall pass.

0 comments:

Post a Comment